The official Goods & Services Tax website gst.gov.in has been launched and is available for online enrollment to facilitate smooth transition to GST. GSTN, the company that is building India’s IT infrastructure to support the roll-out the new Goods and Services Tax regime, launched the www.gst.gov.in quietly on November 8th, just as our Prime Minister, Narendra Modi , announced the end of Rs. 500 and Rs. 1000 notes.
Our government has begun the migration of central excise taxpayers, VAT payers, and service taxpayers to the new Goods & Services Tax system. To keep the vast data secure and to support the IT infrastructure of the Goods & Services Tax regime, 4 data centers were established in Delhi and Banglore. To learn more about Goods and Services Tax, or to enroll online, log on to www.gst.gov.in
What will the GST portal do?
The Goods & Services Tax Portal will be a single portal for taxpayers to easily and smoothly pay their taxes. All taxpayers, including merchants, traders, and businessmen, can now pay their monthly/yearly exise duty, service taxes, VAT, and any other direct/indirect taxes via Debit/Credit card or NEFT/RTGS protocol. This portal will be used as an IT backbone to register new businesses, file e-returns and get back refunds.
After Goods and Services Tax was formally implemented, Goods & Services Tax created a uniform tax structure across India. The transition of taxpayers is underway. Below are the dates to enroll for state-wise Goods & Services Tax transition.
Register for Goods and Services Tax with Aadhar Number
Goods and Services Tax Council allows the use of Aadhaar number to prove that you have obtained Goods and Services Tax registration. After the PM Narendra Modi government’s return to power, dealers will be able to register for GST with Aadhar card number. This decision was taken at the 1st Goods & Services Tax Council meeting. All businesses will be able to use Aadhaar to register on the Goods and Services Tax portal at gst.gov.in
The Goods & Services Tax council extended the term of anti-profiteering authority for 2 years. The council also imposed a 10% penalty on businesses that fail to pass on the rate reductions to consumers. The Goods & Services Tax council increased the deadlines for filing annual returns under Goods & Services Tax.
It would apply the one-form GST return filing system. Goods & Services Tax Council made it easier to register new firms by allowing the use of a 12-digit Aadhaar number for registration. Aadhaar is a 12-digit number that the UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India), issues to Indian residents.
Announcement about GST Registration via Aadhar card Number
These are the announcements by the Goods & Services Tax Council:
- Aadhaar cards can be used by businesses to register for the Goods & Services Tax network on gst.gov.in
- The tenure of the National Anti-Profiteering Authority has been extended for 2 years, to 30 November 2021. This will allow companies to pass on the benefits of lower Goods & Services prices to consumers. The govt. To address consumer complaints against companies that do not pass on Goods and Services Tax rate cuts benefits, the govt. had approved setting up NAA for two years. The formation of NAA took place on 30 November 2017. To date, NAA has passed over 67 orders in different cases and complaints.
- The Goods & Services Tax Council, headed by Nirmala Sitharaman, and including representatives from all states and Union Territories, approved electronic invoicing and e-ticketing at multiplexes. For B2B transactions, the electronic invoicing system will be implemented in phases.
- The GST Council meeting was attended by govt. Also, govt. approves to impose a penalty of up to 10% on profiteered amounts on entities that fail to pass on the benefits of Goods & Services Tax rate reductions to consumers. Currently, govt. The maximum penalty for violating this law is Rs. 25,000.
- The date to file annual returns under the Goods & Services Tax regime was extended by 2 months.
The previous system required applicants to provide proof of identity, proofs of address, and other documents. Online registration is now possible for applicants. They can use their Aadhaar number or OTP authentication to register on the GSTN portal and obtain the Goods & Services Tax registration numbers.
For more details, visit the official website at https://www.gst.gov.in/