NMLS Consumer Access SM is a free service that allows customers to determine whether the financial services provider or professional they seek to do business with is legitimately permitted to do so in their state.
The District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and Guam are all US Territories, and the Nationwide Multistate Licensing System (also known as “NMLS” or the “System”) is the system of record for non-depository, financial services licensing or registration. To apply for, modify, renew, or relinquish license powers that are maintained by NMLS by 66 state or territorial governmental organizations, businesses and individuals must do so using this system. The NMLS does not formally give or refuse license authority.
|Headquarters Regions||West Coast, Western US|
|Company Type||For Profit|
|Phone Number||(916) 960-1325|
|Headquarters location||Roseville, California, United States|
|Number of employees||1-10|
Table of Contents
NMLS Consumer Access for a Financial Service Provider.
- Visit https://nmlsconsumeraccess.org to get details about state-licensed businesses, branches, and individuals that have been licensed and registered with NMLS.
- Enter the business or person’s name in NMLS. Fill out the fields for Name, Company, City, State, Zip Code, NMLS ID, or License Number. (Note: If you’re looking for a Loan Originator, you only need to fill in a person’s name.)
- Select the Search icon. The Individual or Company Name pop-up box appears if there is a match in the NMLS Consumer Access.
When conducting your searches, keep the following in mind:
- To find a company or person, search using the entire NMLS ID or State License Number for optimal results.
- Note: State-specific license numbers may or may not include letters and/or digits (e.g. BK-3872; ML 52094; or 007634). If you don’t know the entire license number, you can input a piece of it that has at least two characters in it as a search keyword.
- You can also search by Name, City, State, and/or Zip Code if you don’t have the NMLS ID or State License Number. To maximize the chances that the company or person you are looking for will show up on the first page of search results, use multiple search phrases (for instance, Company Name and Zip Code).
- Note: Companies and people matching ALL of the search terms entered are included in the search results. Adding more search phrases will cut down on the number of results. Instead of “John Smith,” use “John Smith New York” or “John Smith 10006.”
- No more than 10 search terms may be used, and searches may contain up to 100 characters. Put a space between each term to separate them (e.g. Rockville Maryland). Do not separate search phrases with commas or other punctuation.
- When utilizing words as search criteria, the search will only produce results for cities, states, or entire names that exactly match the search terms. You must include “National” in your search parameters in order to identify businesses having the word “National” in their name, for instance.
- Using the filtering options accessible when viewing the search results, you can filter your results by company, individual, and/or regulator.
The objective of NMLS Consumer Access is to utilize the advantages of regional, state-based financial services regulation on a national scale that enables better coordination and information sharing among regulators, increased industry efficiencies, and improved consumer protection.
NMLS Consumer Access Customer Support
260 Constitution Plaza
Hartford CT 06103-1800
Phone Number: 860-240-8299